Castle Howard, North Yorkshire
Designed by Sir John Vanburgh in 1699 for Charles Howard, the 3rd Earl of Carlisle, Castle Howard is one of the grandest Baroque houses in Britain. At the centre of the house is a double height hall surmounted with a dome; the dome and ceiling paintings were badly damaged by a fire in 1940, which destroyed much of the south front, and were rebuilt and restored in the 1960�s. The west wing was built in a more severe Palladian style in 1756 by Sir Thomas Robinson. This wing contains a long gallery and a chapel, spectacularly redecorated by Morris & Co. in the 1870�s.
The house is no longer the seat of the Earls of Carlisle, the estate having been divided among the family in the 1921, and is now the home of the Hon. Simon Howard. Castle Howard has been the setting for both a television and a film adaptation of Evelyn Waugh�s Brideshead Revisited.