Raby Castle, County Durham
The castle was built mainly in the 14th century for the Nevill family, who lived there until 1569 when the castle and lands were forfeited to the Crown after the failure of the Rising of the North. Since 1626 it has been home to the family of Lord Barnard.
York's architect John Carr worked on the Castle, raising the floor of the magnificent Barons' Hall to accommodate a carriageway below in the Entrance Hall. In the 19th century William Burn extended the Barons' Hall over his Octagon Drawing Room. Raby's treasures include a Meissen bird collection, fine furniture and paintings by Munnings, Reynolds and Van Dyck.
Outside there is a large Deer Park, Two lakes, a walled garden and an 18th-century Stable Block, part of which has been converted into a Gift Shop and Tearooms.