Belton House, Lincolnshire
Belton House, the seat of Lord Brownlow, was once attributed to Sir Christopher Wren, but is more likely to have been by William Winde. It was begun in 1685, and is in form a �double pile�, the principal rooms arranged in suites back to back, with projecting end bays, a hipped roof and a cupola. Sir John Betjeman thought its proportions perfect. James Wyatt, architect of the Brocklesby mausoleum, worked on it in the 1770s and Sir Jeffry Wyatville, the probable architect of Londesborough Park, in the early 19th century. The house and contents are now owned by the National Trust. Visitors will see fine 17th- and 18th- century carving and plasterwork, tapestries, outstanding furniture and Chinese wallpaper.
There are associations with the late Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Lady Diana Cooper. The late Lady Thatcher borrowed some of the Belton silver to use while she was Prime Minister.