Nunnington Hall, North Yorkshire
Nunnington Hall occupies a tranquil setting on the banks of the River Rye. The owners were the Grahams, Viscounts Preston until the 19th century. The house is mainly of two periods: the west side is late 16th century (with mullioned windows and a jumble of chimneys and gables); the south side is 1680 � added by Richard Graham, first Viscount Preston on his return from serving as ambassador to France for Charles II. There is thus some French influence, including the rustication and the delicate ironwork balcony over the front doors. Major work on the Hall seems to have ended at this point, in the late 17th century. Inside there is good 17th century woodwork including a chimney piece and a three-arched screen to the staircase (which has �dumb-bell� balusters). The upstairs drawing room was once Preston�s Great Chamber, since divided into two. Simon Jenkins comments �Nunnington�s charm lies in spotting the joins between the periods of its history�. Upstairs is a collection of miniature objects (wooden, pottery, and needlework).