Landscape Parks and Gardens of East Yorkshire 1700-1830, by David Neave & Deborah Turnbull
Published in 1992, this book combines modern photos and historical plans in an encyclopaedic survey of the Georgian landscape Parks of East Yorkshire.
Only a few copies remain.
Price: £5.00+P&P. In stock.
The site of Burton Constable was first occupied by a mediaeval pele tower. This was rebuilt as a brick house in the early Tudor period and further developed as a grand Elizabethan mansion by Sir John Constable in the 1560s. The interiors were remodelled in a variety of Georgian idioms in the eighteenth century, most notably by Timothy Lightoler ... (read more...)
The original Sledmere house of 1751 forms the core of the more substantial house of the created in the 1790s. The neoclassical design by Samuel Wyatt and Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd Baronet, is characterised by the repeated use of an unusual motif of arched recesses framing tripartite windows. After the house was badly damaged by a fire in 1911, ... (read more...)
In this section
- The Society and Its Activities
- History of the Society
- Publications by the Society
- Files to Download
- Membership of the Society
- Contact the Society and Its Committee
- Current Campaigns