All Saints' Parish Church, Ledsham, West Yorkshire
Although much altered, enough of the Anglo-Saxon fabric of Ledsham Church remains in evidence for its claim to be the oldest standing building in the West Riding to be legitimate. There are numerous small arched windows (most blocked when bigger gothic windows were inserted in the middle ages) and a door surrounded by a sinuous vine motif. Inside are seventeenth and eighteenth century monuments including those of Sir John & Lady Lewis and Lady Elizabeth Hastings (1682-1739). Lady Betty was well known for her acts of charity; beside the church is the old girls boarding school which she founded. Three primary schools and a charitable trust bearing her name survive to this day.