Aldby Park, North Yorkshire
Overlooking the River Derwent at Buttercrambe, the site is associated with King Edwin of Northumbria.
It came into the Darley family when William Darley bought the manor in 1557. The family�s best known member is probably Thomas Darley. In 1703 he sent back from Aleppo the �Darley Arabian�, celebrated as the chief ancestor of English equine thoroughbred bloodstock. Thomas�s sister, Jane, replaced the Tudor building on the site with the present house in 1725/26 � described by Pevsner as a �typical Early Georgian North Riding house, comparable to Beningbrough�. Alterations and additions were made circa 1840 by Henry Brewster Darley.
Thomas Knowlton remodelled the landscape park and grounds (Grade II*) between 1743 and 1746, incorporating the remains of a medieval motte.