Visits to Hotham and Howden
Thursday, 8th May 2014
Today�s visit to Hotham Hall began with tea and lemon drizzle cake in the magnificent pine panelled ballroom. The panelling, dating from the 1720s, was brought from elsewhere to be installed in a new wing in the 1770s. The houses owner, Mr Stephen Martin, gave a tour of all the principal rooms. The Martins have owned Hotham Hall since the 1980s when they employed Francis Johnson to advise on the restoration of the property.
The next venue was St Oswald�s Church in Hotham. The church has a Norman tower but owes much of its present appearance to a restoration of circa 1900.
The last part of our trip was a walking tour of Howden led by members of the local civic society. This was thankfully completed in a gap between rain showers. After a very interesting tour, following the blue plaque trail, we returned to the Masonic Hall for tea and cakes.
Built around 1720 for William Burton from Cottingham. The house remained in the hands of the Burton family until 1865 when it passed by marriage to the Clitherow (later Stracey-Clitherow) family. The oldest part of the hall, built of local limestone, is the attractive five-bay main range of two storeys and attics with a hipped Westmorland slate roof. To ... (read more...)
Norman in origin with a short west tower of the early 12th century and one Early English window in the nave. The chancel was rebuilt 1904-5 by the Hull architect F.S. Brodrick. Of particular note is the early 19th-century extension on the north side of the nave, built to house the squire's pew. An external door leads to a ... (read more...)