Trip to Holgate Mill
Saturday, 8th March 2014
Today's trip to York started with a successful visit to Holgate Mill. The windmill, which has been fully restored by a team of volunteers, is now situated on a roundabout on a suburban road.
The annual York Georgian Society lecture was an enthusiastic talk about baroque silverware by James Lomax, the focus being Lord Raby's silver cistern: a wine cooler over 50 inches across.
George Waud was the builder and first miller at Holgate windmill. It was working by October 1770 in open countryside looking over the hamlet of Holgate, which was centred on the junction of Acomb and Poppleton Roads. George�s son and grandson ran the mill until 1851 when it was sold to John Musham. It was sold again in 1855 ... (read more...)