Georgian Society for East Yorkshire

Report on Visits to Burton Constable and Wassand.

Wassand Hall

Wassand Hall

Saturday, 22nd June 2013

This was our first Visit to be "live tweeted" for the benefit of those who couldn't join us. More photographs can be seen on our Facebook page:

The weather was variable with a mixture of bright sun and showers. At Burton Constable the curator showed us around the stable block designed by Timothy Lightoler in the 1770s. The buildings are gradually being restored or brought to new uses. The orangery has also been recently restored; the stripping of paint from the Coade stone details has revealed their superb quality. At Wassand Hall we were given a brief tour by the owners, Mr & Mrs Russell befor having tea and cakes in the walled garden. The house is very pleasing in design and well sited with a view down Hornsea Mere. Designed by Thomas Cundy, the house was first occupied in 1815, on the same day as the battle of Waterloo. The house was restored by Francis Johnson in the 1940s.

Burton Constable Hall Stables, East Yorkshire

Burton Constable Stables

The Stables at Burton Constable Hall were built in 1770 to the designs of Timothy Lightoler. The scale of the blocks reflects the Clifford Constable families love of riding. There were two stable blocks: the most architecturally sophisticated housed the hunters while the draught horses had a plainer building. The grooms slept on the upper floors. A large indoor ... (read more...)

Burton Constable Hall, East Yorkshire

Burton Constable Hall

The site of Burton Constable was first occupied by a mediaeval pele tower. This was rebuilt as a brick house in the early Tudor period and further developed as a grand Elizabethan mansion by Sir John Constable in the 1560s. The interiors were remodelled in a variety of Georgian idioms in the eighteenth century, most notably by Timothy Lightoler ... (read more...)

Wassand Hall, East Yorkshire

Wassand Hall

Wassand Hall dates from 1813 and was designed by Thomas Cundy for Rev Charles Constable. The house was restored by Francis Johnson in 1947 and its Regency interiors remain largely intact. There are two walled gardens; one contains roses whilst the other is a kitchen garden. (read more...)

In this section